GDIT Careers : Job Details
|Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check your LinkedIn network for connections at General Dynamics IT|
|Sun Solaris Systems Administrator in Alexandria, Virginia|
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 28,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Responsibilities. Under general supervision, responsible for installing, configuring, and maintaining operating system workstations and servers, including web servers, in support of business processing requirements.
1. Performs software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages.
2. Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures. Coordinates Authorized Service Interruptions (ASIs) with Developer and User communities as required.
3. Monitors and tunes the system to achieve optimum performance levels.
4. Ensures workstation/server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions.
5. Ensures data/media recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations.
6. Supports media management through internal methods and procedures or through offsite storage and retrieval services.
7. Develops and promotes standard operating procedures.
8. Conducts routine hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines. This includes the performance of SCAP and Retina scans, analysis of scan results, mitigation of vulnerabilities and all associated reporting and documentation.
9. Develops and maintains a comprehensive operating system hardware and software configuration database/library of all supporting documentation.
10. Supports the Service Desk Call Center and AHRS User and Developer Community as required to facilitate their responsibilities.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
5-8 years of directly related experience in systems administration and analysis. Sun Solaris preferred
1. 8-10 years of directly related experience supporting the core technologies listed below.
2. Deploy and manage virtual hosts in production environments using Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization.
3. Develop effective performance measurement and tuning tools and strategies that help us to maximize the reliability, performance, and scalability of the customers' applications.
4. Displays effective human and interpersonal relations skills during collaborative efforts.
5. Configure and test computer hardware, networking software and operating systems according to industry best practice
6. Coordinate, and implement standard UNIX/Linux services like SSH, FTP, NFS, LDAP, DNS, Samba, Sudo, Apache + Mod Proxy.
7. Deploy OS and security patches.
8. Coordinate installation of new hardware/software.
9. Install, test and monitor the operation of hardware/software.
10. Configures hardware/software to meet project goals.
11. Resolve incident support cases such as offline servers, user administration, troubleshooting of failed backups and analysis of system performance.
12. Provide server support and maintenance
13. Use various utilities to troubleshoot, repair, and check configuration on servers
14. Basic networking skills including TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, NTP, VLANs, and key networking devices like routers, switches, firewalls, proxy, and other networking components.
15. Shell and/or Perl scripting knowledge and skills are required.
16. Ability to support Oracle, Oracle RAC, MySQL, Apache, Weblogic, JBoss and Tomcat from an operating system perspective
17. Experience with installing/configuring Solaris zones/containers/domains to include memory capping .
18. Ability to write complex shell scripts (BASH, KSH, PERL, etc) to automate daily tasks and maintain security-hardening efforts for Information Assurance.
19. Installation of Symantec Netbackup client software and follow-on configuration.
20. Ability to install/configure Sun cluster management software.
Mandatory Certifications: (Security+ with Continuing Education AND one other Unix/Solaris computing environment certification)
|Security Clearance Level||Secret|
|Security Clearance Basis||Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)|
|Security Clearance Polygraph||None|
|Job ID Number||221110.1|
|Job Function||Information Technology|
|Potential for Deployment||No|
|Submit Your Profile|
|Add Job to Cart | Send this job to a friend | Create a job search agent|
|If you have already submitted a profile and would like to check your status, update your information, or even submit for more positions, please login to our Candidate Portal|
|If you are having difficulty with the online job search or resume submission process, please view our F.A.Q. for assistance.|
|Redisplay Results Search Again|
|GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled|