|Job Title||Mechanical Engineer - Manager|
|Location||CAN - BC - Burnaby|
|Job Responsibilities||About Schneider Electric
As a global specialist in energy management with operations in more than 100 countries, Schneider Electric offers integrated solutions across multiple market segments, including leadership positions in Utilities & Infrastructures, Industries & Machine Manufacturers, Non-residential Buildings, Data Centres & Networks and in Residential. Focused on making energy safe, reliable, efficient, productive and green, the Group's 130,000 plus employees achieved sales of 22.4 billion euros in 2011, through an active commitment to help individuals and organizations make the most of their energy. www.schneider-electric.com
As a global specialist in energy management with operations in more than 100 countries, Schneider Electric offers integrated solutions across multiple market segments, including leadership positions in energy and infrastructure, industrial processes, building automation, and data centers/networks, as well as a broad presence in residential applications. Focused on making energy safe, reliable, and efficient, the company's 100,000+ employees achieved sales of more than $22 billion in 2009, through an active commitment to help individuals and organizations "Make the most of their energy." www.schneider-electric.com
We are currently seeking an Engineering Manager - Mechanical based in our Burnaby, BC location. The Mechanical Engineering Manager will manage the Mechanical Engineering Department. Ensuring engineering projects are completed in accordance with internal and external customer's expectations, regulatory and corporate requirements and ensure on budget and on time deliverables. This leader will identify and implement measures to reduce costs, reduce cycle time, improve quality, enhance innovation and develop employees.
The role calls for a positive, confident, highly motivated person with both strong engineering and leadership skills.
1 - Responsibilities:
1.1 - Mentoring: Function leads are typically technical leaders who have the expertise to act as a technical mentor. When the functional lead is not appropriate for a specific topic, he/she would leverage their familiarity with the functional group to make suitable recommendations.
1.2 - Hiring: Functional leads will be actively involved in the recruiting process. Starting with a needs assessment, functional heads will help determine the skill sets required for a specific position and then match those needs with internal or external candidates. Functional leads will be responsible for applying standardized technical reviews as appropriate, reviewing career objectives, clarifying responsibilities, and assuring a good professional match with Renewable Energies Business.
1.3 - Performance Appraisals: Functional leads will be responsible for coordinating performance appraisals and for collecting feedback from relevant program managers. Leads will have a significant role in monitoring the technical and professional progress of employees in his/her section.
1.4 - Career Development: Functional leads must be aware of the expectations and career objectives of each section member. Working with program managers, leads will endeavor to match employee expectations to opportunities while developing strategic capabilities within the discipline. Understanding the strategic objectives of the Solar Business and the types of skills that are required, functional leads will also make training and development recommendations.
1.5 - New methods and Best Practices: Functional leads will have the primary responsibility for monitoring and, as appropriate, adopting new methods and technologies relative to their discipline. Leads will also ensure that the discipline members understand and use current and appropriate best practices within the discipline. Leads will coordinate and attend design reviews and schedule regular meetings of discipline members to encourage employees to disseminate their knowledge to others involved in their discipline.
1.6 - Standards: Functional leads must be aware of the discipline's practices and help to establish, review and revise standards that will help employees apply previous experiences to improve future work. Leads will ensure that members of the function are aware of existing standards, that they have a method for learning how and when to apply these standards, and that they understand the process for establishing new standards.
1.7 - Intellectual Property: Functional leads will be responsible for monitoring relevant IP activity within their discipline. This includes review of outside patents and developments, as well as driving and developing SE's own IP.
1.8 - Project Staffing & Planning: As engineers complete projects, functional managers will make recommendations for future project staffing and ensure that projects are staffed with the correct skills to optimize project success. Functional managers own and continuously improve work breakdown structure for their discipline. The functional leads support project planning by ensuring optimal work breakdown structure is used and supporting their team creating accurate effort and duration estimates.
2 - ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
2.1 - EDUCATION
• Must have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering or a related field.
• Post Graduate technical degree or MBA preferred.
2.2 - EXPERIENCE
• Must have a minimum of 8 years of engineering experience with responsibility and focus on Power Electronics and its supporting digital systems (controls, embedded application, software application, etc.).
• A minimum of 5 years of general management experience is required.
• Preferred experience with other functions involved in new product development; Service, Mechanical, Software, Manufacturing, Test Engineering, Product Marketing, etc.
2.3 - KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Experience in thermal cooling principles and design for power electronics.
• Preference for understanding of thermal and mechanical analysis tools, material selection, their properties and sources.
• Experience in high volume manufacturing and engineering change management processes.
• Experience with data file management and SolidWorks PDM Works or Enterprise PDM.
• Knowledge and experience with global compliance standards.
• Knowledge and experience with DFMEA and DFMA practices.
• Familiarity with Project Management practices is an asset.
• Must be a proven leader who can influence others, even those outside of Engineering and other functional Engineering teams. Must be able to develop and mentor a diverse staff.
• Customer focused with good relationship building skills.
• Highly motivated and be comfortable working with limited oversight in a fast paced environment.
• Must possess good written and oral presentation skills and the ability to communicate ideas effectively to senior management.
• Effective time management and organizational skills; ability to become involved in a number of projects in a fast paced work environment.
2.4 - WORKING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENT/SPECIAL REQUIRMENTS
• Ability to work in a safe professional manner adhering to all corporate and regulatory requirements including WCB, Provincial and Federal regulations.
• Availability for 15% domestic and international travel
Care. Connect. Challenge. Commit. Our values define our company.
Who we are, our customer approach, how we do business, what it's like to work here, and the kind of people we want to attract and retain. We care for our planet, our customers, our company, our team, and ourselves. We connect to customers and colleagues; we are open and respectful. We challenge others and embrace challenges ourselves. We commit to change by leading the change.
At Schneider Electric, because we value our employees, we offer a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision, pension plan, training and development opportunities and much more. Join Schneider Electric and together, let's make the most of your energy!
|We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.|
|This job is no longer active. Please try your job search again|
|Want to create a job search agent?|
|Clear Cart||Check out & Submit Resume|
|Redisplay Results Search Again|